Monday, March 28, 2011

Whole30 Day 14 - Dinner


Slow-cooker salsa chicken

Ingredients

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used frozen chicken breasts, not thawed.)
1 cup salsa (I used a whole jar of Muir Glen mild salsa)
1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning (I used 1/2 TBSP homemade seasoning listed below.)
1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)(I left this out)
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream (I used coconut milk instead)

Directions

Add chicken to slow cooker.
Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.

Taco seasoning

Ingredients

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (left this out, didn't have any)
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

I also had leftover roasted carrots and peas with it.

I have made this before using the original directions and packaged low sodium taco seasoning and it was really good, we've made it a few times. I was a little nervous making changes, especially leaving out the soup and replacing the sour cream with coconut milk, but it was still really good. I loved using lettuce leaves as the taco shells. Every time we have made this before we have eaten it as tacos or nacho topping. I meant to chop up some olives as topping but I didn't have time.

Either way, really good and I have yummy leftovers and will definitely make this again. Finally something to do with chicken!

2 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I found it when I googles Whole30, salsa, and chicken. :). I'm making it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete